Thursday, October 11, 2007

My first steps…again!

I have so much to write about for the past two months and I’m so sorry for not being more vigilant in updates. I will try to have a more detailed post in the next few days. However, something happened today that I am so super excited about; I don’t want to wait to let the world know.

I’m about to mention things that are new since the last blog and I’ll go into more detail about them later, but here’s the exciting news: I took my second first steps!!! I am going to therapy 5 days a week right now; 3 days at Project Walk in San Diego (actually Carlsbad) and 2 days at Precision Rehab in Long Beach.

Today, I went to Precision Rehab. I was locked into a harness and the therapists were manually moving my legs on a treadmill. I was instructed to not think of anything they were doing but imagine myself at the beach or something. The first few reps were a big struggle for them, but the third rep went really well. They got me into a nice, fluid movement and I was on the treadmill for about 5 minutes straight (with them manually moving my legs).

Then we moved off of the treadmill and tried to walk on the ground (while I was still supported by the harness). So there were still 2 therapists manually moving my legs in the walking motion, but then, something amazing happened…

As I was dangling from the harness and half paying attention to them moving my legs, they planted my left leg, and then my right lunged forward by itself in stride! My body was remembering! The therapists again had to wrestle my legs to get them to walk for the next couple steps, but every so often, I was able to somewhat control the movement of walking forward. It was incredible. I was thinking about bringing my leg/foot forward to walk, and for the first time since March, I was sometimes getting a positive response!

Man, when I lunged forward for the first time…I don’t know what thoughts went through my head. I was just in shock and disbelief, sort of like, did you guys see that? Did I just do that? I’m very much looking forward to future sessions and trying this out to see what other improvements may come. I will try to video some of this so that you can sort of see what I’m talking about.

In the meantime, God bless and I’ll update with lots more soon!!!

6 Comments:

At October 11, 2007 at 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, congrats! I'm so excited for you and wish I could be at home to celebrate. I miss you a lot and think about you everyday and also pray/meditate while I am walking around Europe. I imagine you walking with me and experiencing the sights and smells by foot.

I love you lots!


Love,

Jen

 
At October 11, 2007 at 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, congrats! I'm so excited for you and wish I could be at home to celebrate. I miss you a lot and think about you everyday and also pray/meditate while I am walking around Europe. I imagine you walking with me and experiencing the sights and smells by foot.

I love you lots!


Love,

Jen

 
At October 11, 2007 at 11:14 PM , Blogger Ivette said...

Yay! I love you hun, keep up the good work... you'll be walking, jumping, running in no time.

 
At October 12, 2007 at 2:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At October 12, 2007 at 2:19 AM , Blogger Gus said...

You're great Joe

You know why you're walking? God is with you dude

Hope to know more about your improvements soon.

God bless you and your loved ones

 
At November 26, 2007 at 11:16 AM , Blogger Mario & Aurora said...

Joe,
Hi. You are an amazing person. We are very proud of you as your Tito & Tita. We know by faith that you will walk soon as the Lord will surely bless you to reward your faith and efforts and to answer the prayers of all in the family and your friends. We continue to pray for God's healing touch and grace to come down upon you. Love.
God bless.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home